Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
Krouse's Machine Shop (Site ID 21)
In February 1896, Henry Krouse moved to Pomeroy from Pataha to operate Murphy's blacksmith shop. T.E. Benbow, a wagon maker, and Otto Koenig, a mechanic, worked with Krouse in the business. Henry and Florence Krouse had four sons, who later worked in the family business. After Henry's death in 1934, the shop was left to his widow Florence. Her sons, Leslie and Karl expanded the business by making tractor cabs.
The Krouse brothers decided to build a new fireproof building on their land on Main Street in spring 1945. The concrete blocks for the new building came from Spokane. Both portions of the new shop were completed by 1946 at a cost of $10,000 (East Washingtonian, 27 September 1945).
Since the District's historic nomination, this building has been the location for a small printing company and a dealer in ammunition. It is currently (November, 2021) unoccupied.
The building, erected in 1946, is a one-story concrete block building with a slightly sloped roof and raised parapet. Five bays separated by concrete block pilasters make up the front (south) elevation. The east bay has the original wooden multi-pane folding garage doors, and the central three bays are filled with steel sash multi-pane windows. The west bay has a recessed entrance, decorative glass block, fixed-pane storefront windows, and transom windows covered with metal sheets. The storefront is sheltered by a sheet metal canopy designed with rounded comers. All the comers of the building are also rounded; a modernistic design element. A garage bay, set back from the main building, is on the west elevation. The concrete block structure has a metal roll-up garage door, flat roof, and multi-pane windows.
Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
(Courtesy of the Garfield County Museum)
Top of a bill from the Henry C. Krouse Blacksmith and machine Shop. October of 1905. From the Mike Buckley estate.
May of 1919.
Spring of 1957. Display ad that ran in the classified section.
Even in 1960, they were proud of their business heritage.
"Serving the Farmer in this Area Since 1882."
Wandering Pomeroy's Main Street
Area Traffic Cameras
Delaney (20+ miles W on Highway 12)
SE Washington Traffic Alerts
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2022 John R. Gordon