Historic District Downtown Building Inventory>
Pomeroy Downtown Historic District
(Site ID 19)
According to the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, by 1896 a printing business was sited here; by the early 1900s, the brick building housed Herman Scott's Holt Combine and tractor supplies business. The original brick structure was replaced in 1949 by the current concrete building and was used for many years as an insurance agency (Belknap Insurance and Oliver Insurance).
Constructed in 1949, the current one-story concrete building has a sloped roof with a single row of corbelling caps the parapet. The building has a striped metal awning, large metal sash storefront windows, recessed offset entrance, and Roman brick bulkhead.
Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Here's the original building at this location.
Holt manufacturing, Summer of 1924
Walter C. Oliver, advertisement from October, 1960, E-W
1969 November issue of the E-W
From the 1970 Christmas advertising issue of the E-W
New Year's advertising section of the E-W, 1975.
Belknap and Low, 1981
Wandering Pomeroy's Main Street
Area Traffic Cameras
Delaney (20+ miles W on Highway 12)
SE Washington Traffic Alerts
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2022 John R. Gordon