Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
The Palace Store... was Palace Meats & Deli.... in 2021
The Palace Store (Site ID 16)
847 Main Street
Classification: Historic Contributing
According to newspaper accounts and historic photographs, the building was most likely constructed circa 1906. The building adjoined Fox's photographic studio on the east. One of the earliest businesses to locate in the building was a clothing store called The Palace Store. By 1922, a cleaning business was in the west half of the building and a millinery business in the east half. Breashears Hat Shop and, later, Allie Powell's Millinery and Hat Shop occupied the building. Powell lived in the back of the store for many years.
According to Ray Cardwell, Powell sold her business to Helen Browne in 1936 and it was renamed "Helen's Hat and Dress Shop." An article in the East Washingtonian from 1957 mentioned that the "welfare office" had been in this location. A TV/radio repair shop (Brown's) opened in March, 1957. At the time the Historic District was created, Metro Antique & Stuff occupied the building.
The one-story building has brick parapet flanked by raised pilaster with corbeled caps. Divided into three bays, the central recessed entrance bay has two doors that lead into separate commercial spaces (connected on interior by an opening). The wood doors, set on the diagonal, have wooden panels below and glass pane above. The large storefront windows on the side of the entrance have wood paneled bulkheads, wood sashes, and multi-pane transom windows. Due to deterioration, the upper portion of the parapet was removed prior to the current ownership. The building was restored in the 1990s.
Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
March 3, 1957:
Brown To Open TV Repair Shop
The opening of a TV and radio repair shop by Ivan Brown is slated within the next few weeks.
According to Brown's present plans, his business will be in the Allie Powell building on Main in the space recently vacated by the welfare office. Brown said that Richard Burke, who is now taking a TV and radio repair course, plans to join the business at a later date.
For the past year and one-half Brown has been employed as a repairman at Christensen-Rauch Co. and before that held a similar position with Obenland's.
The May 4, 1978, EW covered this excitement on Main street:
photo by Dan Walsh
A portion of the false front on Allie Powell's building on Main Stret collapsed unexpectedly Saturday morning at 6:30 a.m. Firemen were called to the scene after it was reported the incident was caused by an explosion inside the building. However, no evidence of an explosision was found, and neither Mrs. Powell's apartment or Dr. A. A. Snyder's ofice were damaged inside. The resulting hole has been covered up temporarily.
That's "Al" Godinez resting in front of her Metro Antiques -n- Stuff store back in 2003.
Wandering Pomeroy's Main Street
Area Traffic Cameras
Delaney (20+ miles W on Highway 12)
SE Washington Traffic Alerts
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2022 John R. Gordon