Downtown Pomeroy Building Inventory
Kozy Korner -> Tuffy's -> Huyette's Kozy Korner -> Kozy Korner ->Doug's
Northwest Corner of Current 23rd and Main Streets
Description: Originally this was Huyette's, owned and operated by James H. and Evelyn Huyette.
Mr and Mrs. Jack Hatley owned previous to December, 1957.
Mr. and Mrs. E.M. Lunders purchased in Dec 1957. Renamed it Tuffy's Phillips 66
Lillian and Larry Lueck in 1968, just prior to the Lower Granite Dam construction-fueled expansion of Pomeroy.
After they turned it over to son Doug in 1993, Doug closed the Kafe and turned the space into a memorabilia display and a couple more service bays. After the Texaco Station closed [in ####], Doug continued business as Doug's Towing.
This photo from July, 2008, shows the location when it was Doug's Towing.
This was the ad from the 1953 Dayton, Pomeroy Waitsburg.
From the July 12, 1956, issue of the East Washingtonian
COVER 22 STATES
Mr. and Mrs. Hawley Huyette and children, Nancy and Joe, returned recently from a trip that took them to 22 states. They visited his brother in Chicago and also toured both Glacier and Yellowstone parks. The Huyettes had nothing for praise for Yellowstone and advised that it be included on everyone's vacation agenda if possible.
From a front page article in the January 24, 1957, issue of the East Washingtonian
Hatleys Operate Cafe And Station
New operators of the cafe and service station on east Main are Mr. and Mrs. Jack Hatley. They took over the business last Saturday.
The drive-in cafe will continue to be known as the Kozy Korner and the service station will be operated under the name of Hatley's 66. At present the couple are keeping both businesses open from 7 a. m. until midnight or after.
Mrs. Hatley is also continuing her job as switchboard operator at the Pomeroy telephone exchange.
A bit on the front page of the November 11, 1957, East Washingtonian told us:
TAKE OVER CAFE
Mr. and Mrs. E.M. Lunders of Clark Fork, Idaho will take over the Kozy Korner cafe and service station on December 1  from Mr. and Mrs. Jack Hatley. The business will be known as Tuffy's Phillips 66.
The Kozy Korner Cafe and Texaco was at the east end of town where Main and Villiard come together.
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon