Pomeroy Washington Downtown National Historic District

Downtown Pomeroy Washington from space

Historic District Downtown Building Inventory

Kuykendall Block (Site ID 40)

764 Main Street

The one-story painted brick building has a cornice decorated with an offset peaked parapet, corbeled dripcourses, raised rusticated pilasters accented with corbels and topped with pyramidal caps, transom window openings covered with wood panels, and a recessed entrance on the west bay. The original entrance on the west bay has been changed to a window.

According to the 1896 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, four wooden commercial structures occupied the site (a millinery, harness, grocery, and barbershop). These buildings were destroyed by the 1900 Pomeroy fire. Dr. and C.E. Kuykendall began construction on their new brick block immediately after the fire. The building was the second brick structure to be completed after the fire. J.N. Cardwell moved his general store into the west storefront and stayed until circa 1909 when he moved to a different location. and the Taylor shoe store moved into Cardwell's storefront.

p>

Other uses for the western storefront included a clothing store and the Central Market. Loy and Stevenson Confectionery shop were the first to occupy the eastern storefront. The partners maintained their business until 1906 when George Simenstad established a jewelry store in the building. About 1963, the Pomeroy Pharmacy moved from their long-time location at 782 Main Street to the Kuykendall Block. The pharmacy took over both storefronts and still occupies the building.

Description and much of the Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates

Washington's Birthday Message from February 1924, East Washingtonian

Washington's Birthday Message from February 1924, East Washingtonian

POMEROY WEATHER

Area Traffic Cameras
Alpowa Summit
Delaney (20+ miles W on Highway 12)
SE Washington Traffic Alerts

 

This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.


The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347

 

Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon