Pomeroy Washington Downtown National Historic District

Downtown Pomeroy Washington from space

Historic District Downtown Building Inventory

C. W. Black Building (Site ID 38)

The one-story unpainted brick building has a raised peaked parapet flanked by small brick pilasters with pyramidal caps. The building has a central recessed entrance. Identical in design to the Hazelton Building to the west, the buildings share a common wall divided by a raised rusticated brick pilaster with recessed panels.

Constructed in the fall of 1900 after the Pomeroy fire, the building was erected to house the professional offices of Drs. C.G. and George W. Black, and the East End Drug store operated by M.A. Black. Completed in December 1900, the front of the building housed the East End Drug, and the back of the structure was used as a doctors' office, reception area, and operating room. George W. Black came to Garfield County in 1882 and died in 1910. The Black pharmacy was sold to Crump and Dill by 1914 and became known as the Pomeroy Pharmacy. By 1925, Crump was the sole owner of the business. Around 1963, the Pomeroy Pharmacy moved to their present location at 752 Main Street. Subsequent uses of the building include a barbershop, a fabric store, and a savings and loan.

At the time of the historic nomination, Sterling Savings occupied the building. Following acquisition of Sterling, Umpqua Bank occupied the building, but sold the branch to the Bank of Eastern Oregon, which as of 2020 had a Bank of Eastern Washington branch in this location.

Description and much of the Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates

Washington's Birthday Message from February 1924, East Washingtonian

Washington's Birthday Message from February 1924, East Washingtonian

POMEROY WEATHER

Area Traffic Cameras
Alpowa Summit
Delaney (20+ miles W on Highway 12)
SE Washington Traffic Alerts

 

This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.


The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347

 

Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon