Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
Pomeroy Mercantile Company (Site ID 37)
The Pomeroy Mercantile Building` is a one-story structure constructed of pressed brick. The construction date of "1900" is centered in the middle of the parapet. The intact entrance on the north elevation was originally the grocery department. Applied signage on the raised parapet above the entrance says "Grocery Dept. 1900." The storefront is intact and has cast-iron columns, wood sash windows, transoms, and metal steps that access the elevated recessed central door. Modifications include the addition of simulated mullions inside the large storefront windows on the front (north) elevation.
The Pomeroy Mercantile Company was organized in September, 1892, after a group of investors purchased the B. Conn and Company Mercantile Company, a business founded in 1883 by Ben Conn. The incorporators of the new company were B. Conn, J.J. McGrath, C.H. Seeley, and M.A. Dunham. The original two-story mercantile store was destroyed in the 1900 fire and the owners of the building decided to reconstruct immediately after the fire. The building was completed in late 1900. In 1912, the Mercantile Company was reincorporated with investors J.J. McGrath, C.H. Seeley, J.F. Burr, R.E. Alien and J.B. Warren. Ben Cohn, the original owner, returned to Germany circa 1914.
The company was sold in May 1919 to Floyd Hull and his senior partner from Pullman, Washington, Jay N. Emerson. The new company was known as the Emerson-Hull Company. The Hull family sold their share in the company to other stockholders in 1948 after the death of Floyd Hull in 1940. Jack Meyers moved his hardware/merchandise business into the building about 1960 and in 1982, his son, Tom Meyers took over the business and purchased the building.
Description and much of the Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Washington's Birthday Message from February 1924, East Washingtonian
Come to the Picnic in Mayview!
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon