Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
The Knettle Building/The Fair (Site ID 33)
Constructed around 1904, the Knettle Building is built of rough face ashlar stone laid in a broken range pattern. The subject building and the Knettle Bank Building to the west are the only stone buildings in downtown.
Early street scene photographs indicate that this building was occupied by The Fair, a clothing store, as early as 1906. By 1922, the structure housed a billiards parlor and dry goods store, and by 1930, a restaurant. The building housed the Palace of Sweets in the 1940s. Later uses of the building include Obenland's Appliances, offices for the U.S. Forest Service, and Ram's Auto Store. The building is currently occupied by ____________________________.
Description and much of the Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Washington's Birthday Message from February 1924, East Washingtonian
Come to the Picnic in Mayview!
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon