Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
A Building of the Pomeroy Downtown Historic District (Site ID 23)
#23 City/County Fire Department The Pomeroy Fire Department was officially established on 23 July 1887. Thirty men enrolled as volunteers; the following year a hook and ladder truck was purchased for the department. In 1926, the citizens of Pomeroy authorized the purchase of additional fire equipment, and the construction of a City Hall and Fire Station (#5). The City Hall/Fire Station served the needs of the department until 14 September 1948 when voters passed a $30,000 bond for the construction of a new fire station. This money was added to the funds already earmarked for the new station. The new fire station was built on a vacant lot at the east end of Main Street, and included storage for all the city and county fire equipment, living quarters for the caretaker, a dormitory for the staff, and lockers for all members. The construction bids were let (for a second time) in February 1949, and was awarded to contractors Busboom and Raus. The city engineer, Cecil Kinder, supervised the excavation of the building. By August 1949, community members toured the new $75,000 building.
Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Washington's Birthday Message from February 1924, East Washingtonian
Come to the Picnic in Mayview!
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon