Historic District Downtown Building Inventory
Stanley's OK Tire Rubber Welders (Site ID 20)
745 Main Street
Classification: Historic Contributing
Dick Stanley completed the O.K. Rubber Welders (O.K. Tire Shop) in June, 1952. Stanley moved his business to this location from 865 Main Street where Stanley started the tire shop in 1948. Stanley sold the business in late 1968 to Jim and Linda Storey who kept the "OK Tire" but got rid of the "Stanley's." As of early 2021, the building is still used as a tire shop (Storey's Tire Factory), although the owner is trying to sell the business.
Constructed in 1952, the one-story concrete block building has a sloped roof with a wood shake shed roof parapet and two bays separated by concrete block pilasters. The east bay has a large paneled garage door and the west bay accommodates the repair bay. A large multi-pane window is on the rear (north) elevation. The building was remodeled in the early 1980s including the addition of a Buckaroo Revival awning.
Cultural Data based on
research by Donovan & Associates
Looks like the mid 1960s in this view
November, 1968, and it was still Stanley's
From the December, 1968, Christmas advertising section, we can see that Stanley's OK has become the O.K. Tire Store. Welcome to Jim and Linda (Story) and Rich and renate.
Winter, 1970. Jim and Rich wanted you to go safely in the snow on their Winter Retreads.
Try explaining either "retreaded tires" or $10.00 tires to a kid today!
The OK Tire Store with Jim and Linda Storey,owners. Also Rich and Renate.
(New Year's Eve advertising section of 1970.)
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon