Mission Shell (Site ID 1)
(Currently: Ferd Herres Service Dept)
6## Main Street
Classification: Non-Historic Non-Contributing
According to the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, a brewery stood on this site in 1896. By 1929, the building had been replaced by Harry H. Hadley's Mission Style Shell Service Station (demolished in the early 1970s). Other owners of the Mission style station were Jack Caldwell, Dale and Delbert Turner, Paul Feider, and Jerry Schneider.
Ferd Herres purchased the property circa 1964 and constructed the steel building in 1974 for use as an automobile service department Members of the Herres family still own the building.
Based on research by
Donovan & Associates.
The "Down Memory Lane" column in the May 31, 1979, issue of the E-W:
50 years ago--1929
After months of preparation, the Mission Service Station, built by Harr Hadley, will open next Thursday, Decoration Day.
An early view of the Mission Shell station at what was then 2nd and Main
From the 1953 Dayton, Pomeroy and Waitsburg Yellow Pages
From an ebay listing is this 1953 pocket calendar from Mission Shell
Mission Shell had about three more years left.
(From the 1970 Christmas Advertising Issue of the E-W)
This Web site has been financed by Castlemoyle Books and Gifts for the Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee.
The Committee gratefully acknowledges donations of time, photographs, scans, and other
assistance from the Garfield County Museum and individual citizens of Pomeroy and Garfield County.
The Pomeroy Historic Preservation Committee
66 South 7th Street
Pomeroy WA 99347
Copyright © 2002-2021 John R. Gordon